Monday, March 29, 2010

The Creative Habit

It's been our Creative Habit as a group to plan these long weekend getaways. These trips always provide a needed respite from the workaday world, an opportunity for uninterrupted art time and fodder for future projects.

At the end of our recent spring retreat weekend, Kathleen leant me her copy of the book: "The Creative Habit Learn It and Use it for Life" by the dancer, Twyla Tharp.

I am usually suspect of thinking that other's people's methods can work for me but because I've been looking for a way to channel my creative energy in a more focused way, I thought I'd give it a look-see.

My challenge is that I have a very creative mind and it's hard to decide which of my ideas I should actually follow through with once I walk through the door of my studio. Twyla Tharp has a great practise of assigning a "box" for each of her projects. The physical act of collecting all the bits and pieces of inspiration and research that go into a project into a box appeals to me. It's like a physical manifestation of gathered ideas.

As a person who tends to collect and clutter, I feel that I need to wipe the studio/slate clean so that I'll have the space to work, yet I realize now that all those things often feed my work. If, when I clean up my studio, I am able to sort things into boxes I bet I'll discover in the process what my most important projects are by the amount of research material I have gathered.

I am looking forward to trying it out and I'll be sure to let you know how it works for me.

1 comment:

tlc illustration said...

Sounds like I need to read that book... Do report how it goes!