Saturday, August 30, 2008

Composition


In the progression of my art I've made many decisions and gone through many stages:
Drawing or Painting?
Illustration or Traditional subject matter?
Watercolor, acrylic, or oil?
Learning my materials and techniques(ongoing)
What am I trying to say?
Now I'm working very hard to learn good compostion. Not just placement of elements but lighting and color, how it all works together to create a unified whole. At this point I find that simple arrangements are the most successful. The question arises then, how to progress in order to create compositions which with more elements and still remain elegant and unified. Hmmm...

1 comment:

tlc illustration said...

Besides lots of experimenting, I guess the best way is to look at lots of other successful paintings? What artists do what you are aiming for?