Monday, May 19, 2008

Inside Story scoop


Another Inside Story has come and gone. The event was well attended in spite of the sunny day and University District Street Fair. Hosted by illustrator Jaime Temairik, very funny and charming in her superhero cape, each presenter was asked what superpower they would want to have. (mine was to be invisible so I can draw anyone, anywhere) In honor of the book Really, Truly Bingo there was a bingo game for books throughout the afternoon.
I am happy to report that my three minute talk about Shannon and the World's Tallest Leprechaun went well. Being well prepared really helped.(thanks POBLs!) Although I was expecting an easel or table to set my art on, Jaime obliged by acting as my human easel. I was very happy when people laughed in the right places. All of the presentations were fun to see, some that I especially enjoyed were author Jennifer Bradbury's mock arrest (Shift ); author/illustrator Laura McGee Kvasnosky had an a couple of imaginary friends help with her presentation (Really, Truly, Bingo); we all had fun doing hand gestures and funny noises along with authors Richard & Steffanie Lorig (Such a Silly Baby). We also got to see original art from illustrator Craig Orback (Prisoner For Liberty) and author/illustrator Erik Brooks (Polar Polka). As a total outsider, my husband Brian really got into the presentations. He also won one of the bingo door prizes!

4 comments:

jog said...

Oh, Kathleen, I am proud of you--we all are! That preparation really makes the difference doesn't it? It lets you breathe enough to make those funny lines funny. You SO deserve the recognition for all of your hard work and amazing artistic growth this year! I am glad Brian was able to come and get a prize too!

Rebecca Bush said...

Congratulations, Kathleen! I wish I could have been there. Thanks for posting about it. I'm glad to hear that it went well.

Isobel said...

Great job well done! Sounds like a lot of grown-up kids having a good time! Laura M. K.'s book is a nice. I'm not so sure that bingo is invisible though. Wish I could have been there. Did you get many responses about your book?

Isobel said...

Great job well done! Sounds like a lot of grown-up kids having a good time! Laura M. K.'s book is a nice. I'm not so sure that bingo is invisible though. Wish I could have been there. Did you get some nice comments and conversation from folks about the book?