Friday, August 17, 2007

Early influences and Balance

Hello Ladies, as usual I loved our meeting last night. Thought I had better put my two cents in before I forget. Like Rebecca, one of my favorite illustrators was John R Neil of OZ book fame. His pen and ink had terrific energy and each and every image made me smile. But what was particularly amazing was his ability to give his characters such life with only a few well placed black lines.

The discussion on balance which came up again last night always fascinates me. Here's what I'm finding lately...
The older I get the more selfish I am with my time. As a younger woman with 60 years or more ahead of me I was dazzled by the possibilities and found it very hard to focus my energy. Now with 20 of those years behind me I want to make it all count. Plus the thrill of evolving as an artist is well worth the sacrifice of a few beaded necklaces, although I may never give up little hand sewing projects.

2 comments:

tlc illustration said...

Good thoughts Michelle. And I have to second John R Neill. I've loved him my whole life as well.

I think I'm mostly giving up sewing (or other hand craft) projects, and keeping the beading as a fall back. :-) Yeah... Balance....

Rebecca Bush said...

I would like to think of it as being more focused.

Like Suzy's story of learning something while teaching that changed the way she paints, I love it when things that we do outside of the studio can transform our artwork.

By interacting with the world, we are able to connect better to the world through our art.